The Museum of Typography announces Poster Contest, 2014
The Museum of Typography owned by the newspaper “Haniotika Nea” calls, for the first time, people that have inspiration and enthusiasm, talent and creativity, people in the mood to create and with imagination, passion and original thinking, from all over Greece but also from abroad, to participate in a big poster contest about – what else?- typography.
Let your mind travel to the invention that changed the course of history, browse the Museum’s website www.typography-museum.gr or – even better - visit closely the unique Museum of Typography in Greece and create a poster that will become the main exhibit in a poster exhibition with main subject the Museum and Typography, that will take place in the old harbour of Chania, at the facilities of Chania Sailing Club from the 4th to the 15th of August 2014.
The best twenty works of art will be presented in the exhibition and their creators will receive honorary distinction.
The creators of the three works of art that will be distinguished, will also receive money award:
For the winner 1.000 €
For the second 700 € and
For the third 500 €
The pieces will be judged by a jury composed of:
Yannis Garedakis, publisher - journalist, Founder of the Museum of Typography
Elia Koumis, communication specialist – journalist, Director of the Museum of Typography
Yannis Markantonakis, sculptor – painter, ex Cultural Director of the Art Workshop of the Municipality of Chania
Mixalis Kalaitzakis, photographer – artist, mixaliskalaitzakis.com
Nikos Kosmadakis, graphic designer, thedesignbar.gr
1) Anyone interested in participating to the Contest must send its creation until July 18th 2014 in one of the following ways:
a. In person, to the Museum of Typography, Chania Industrial Area or to (the offices of) “Haniotika Nea” (49 Karaiskaki str., Chania)
b. By post or courier service to “HANIOTIKA NEA” , 49, Karaiskaki str., Chania, 73135, FOR THE POSTER CONTEST
c. Via e-mail to firstname.lastname@example.org
Participants in the contest, graphic designers, artists, students, professionals and anyone wishing – regardless of occupation - to participate, may submit up to two (2) proposals. Employees of “Haniotika nea S.A.” are excluded from the contest.
3) Selection criteria for the winning creations will be the originality and the transmission directness of the message.
4) The subject of the poster must be related to Typography, tools used, its history and anything relevant to Typography along the centuries. The work must be original and particular, with no other restriction in the subject. Direct or indirect reference to the Museum of Typography is desirable, but not required.
5) The poster should be created with the view of being used in various applications of the Museum (publication cover, poster, postal card, banner, etc). Dimensions of the work must be 50x70 cm and there in no restriction regarding the materials, the form, the colours or the technique used by each candidate. Dimensions of the works submitted in electronic form should be 200dpi CMYK or Greyscale.
6)Contest results will be announced on July 25th, 2014 by the newspaper “Haniotika Nea”, the website of the Museum of Typography www.typography-museum.gr and the website of the newspaper “Haniotika Nea” www.haniotika-nea.gr.
7) Regarding intellectual property rights:
a. Creators of the twenty works who will receive honorary distinction - besides the first three awards - assign, cede and transfer to the Museum of Typography their intellectual property rights on their works and any potentional application or use of their ideas (branding, trademarks, etc), that will constitute from now on property of the Museum of Typography, which will be able to dispose of and use them at its own discretion The sum of one hundred euros (100 €) will be offered for every work, that has received honorary distinction, only if it is used for commercial purposes of the Museum - apart from the first three already rewarded with money award.
b. Furthermore, the abovementioned creators declare that they do not maintain any intellectual property rights on the creations that they will deliver.
c. The works submitted for the scope of the said contest, will not be returned.
d. The Museum of Typography may reuse without damage the entire work submitted by any creator mentioned above (article 7 paragraph a) or part of it, freely for any purpose and in any way, unchanged or modified at its own discretion.
e. The participant creator(s) undertake(s) to send to the Museum of Typography an “open” file of the poster creation, in order to be used by the “Museum of Typography” for any other application, joined by the creator’s / creators’ waiver of every right and claim on future applications of its creation.
f. Participation in the contest automatically implies the acceptance of terms of the present notice of contest.